This summer we have continued to explore New England. Recently we decided to spend a weekend in Kennebunkport, ME. I can't believe that I've lived in Boston for 4 years and haven't had a chance to visit this cute little town before now. It is incredibly charming.
We stayed at The Boathouse Waterfront Hotel, which is located on the harbor side of the Kennebunk River and just steps away from the town center. Our room was very nice and cozy, with huge windows and a private balcony overlooking the harbor, where I would sit every morning. On the first floor of the hotel there is a restaurant called David’s KPT. We went there twice during our stay, for lunch and dinner, and both times the food was amazing! For dinner we also had a glass of refreshing sangria, which we enjoyed as we looked out at the boats in the harbor. That's how I imagine a perfect summer evening. Another thing I loved about this hotel was the beautiful roof deck open for hotel guests. It's quiet and peaceful up there, and the views are stunning.
Here's a list of things to do in the area. We had enough time to do some of them, but will definitely have to go back to do the rest.
- Go on either a Whale Watching cruise or Scenic Maine Lobster Tour along the Kennebunkport coastline (it's right across from the hotel)
- Rent kayaks/canoes and go explore the Kennebunk River.
- Take a scenic drive on the Ocean Ave. The views there are spectacular. You can also take a peek at the Bush family compound on Walker's Point.
- Go to the beach. There are several good beaches in the area, and we chose to spend a day at Goose Rocks Beach. It's very long and not too crowded, with soft sand and clear water.
- Explore little shops around the area. There are a lot of antique stores!
- And, of course, a trip to Maine wouldn't be complete without trying a good lobster roll. The Clam Shack, which is a very short walk down the street from The Boathouse Hotel, is just the place for it!